Wednesday, September 3, 2008

No Ben. No Carlo. Sad.

You can't imagine the sorry at our home today. After spending all day Monday building a home for either Ben or Carlo, we found out Tuesday that they won't let us adopt a dog. "Why?" you ask. Because we were going to keep the dog outside. Now, we weren't going to let him freeze outside. And we wouldn't let him sweat it out in the sweltering heat. Dogs were not put on this earth to live inside the home. They are animals; they started on this earth living in a den, outside. You know, like wolves. So, I don't get it! Someone please explain. I have four very upset young people at my house.

I thought maybe it was just the "Humane Society" because, well, they like to be humane. But then I called the SPCA.
"We don't generally let them go to homes where they live outside," they said.
"Is it a DE law that they can't live outside," I asked.
"No, it's just our policy," they said.
"So, let me get this straight," I said, "You have dozens of dogs who need a home, but instead of letting them live outside with a family who feeds them, etc., you euthenize the ones that have been there too long? That's what your website claims."
No answer. I hung up. I'm not even an "animal lover" and I'm disgusted.

This will not derail us. We will find a dog!
Anyone know a good beagle breeder?

By the way...Carlo had been adopted already. Yeah Carlo.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...look at you all passionate about Animal's rights. Who knew? :)

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

I know, right!

Buffy said...

Wow, I'm have to say I'm with you on this one Lori. Seems pretty ridiculous to me! Sad for the kids too. :(

The Plaintive's Pleas said...

Find that dog! (they come in handy when the hurricane has knocked out all your power and food and water and you need a fresh meal)

Elaine said...

Good for you, Lori, standing up for the dogs. I would have loved to know the answer to your question! I'm sure you will find another dog for the children.

natalie said...

Be strong Lori. Let the search continue...