Friday, February 27, 2009

Back in the Day....

There is this guy in one of my classes that constantly, and I mean constantly, refers to five years ago as "Back in the day....." This is driving me crazy. He is all of twenty five at most. Let me tell you about "Back in the day....."

Back in the day, we rode buses that didn't have air conditioning. We typed our papers on things called typewriters, which meant that when you had a typo you either used WhiteOut or started all over again. We actually went to a building called a library and researched facts in actual printed books, you know, the ones made of paper. Oh, and in order to find your book you had to use a large wooden piece of furniture called a card catalog. The closest computer I could access was in the library ( while at BYU) or Chad's apartment (and I didn't have a clue how to work it.) The only computer in my high school was huge and scary looking and the only thing we did on it was learn how to do computer programing (which I passed, but didn't learn a thing!) Nobody had a laptop, except for maybe the students in engineering, who knows. Okay, what else? Cell phones....How could I forget about cell phones? Back in the day, we thought cordless phones were all the rage! Texting was even dreamed up yet.

Yes, I know that acknowledging these facts shows my age. My own siblings didn't have to endure some of this. So, what prompted this posting, you ask? As I was figuring out FaceBook, Jake (14) commented on how computer illiterate I am. Well, Jake, all I can say is I have come a very (very, very) long way since back in the day!

14 comments:

Sally Sirmans said...

I here you on all of this. I especially can't stand the sound of *back in the day* as a saying. It must go.

smilesbig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
smilesbig said...

Well "Back in the day" of my time we had black and white TV, the kids use to ask about our favorite video.hehe

Yes Back in the day is so different then that the kids today will ever know. They have no clue.
hummm!

February 27, 2009 6:34 AM

Tice said...

Back in the day there was a choice between VHS and Beta. Wait...still using the VHS when possible since Tycen can't scratch it.

And back in the day there was this thing called a tape deck. Wait...still have one of those in my car. I only wish I had the equipment, from back in the day, to make a mixed tape for myself.

And back in the day, there was a thing called a Tandy computer that only had the colors black and orange. And it was state of the art.

Oh and back in the day, we used pay phones. Yes, icky, germy, nasty pay phones that in my lifetime went from 5 cents to 50 cents per use.

It's fun to visit times from back in the day.

natalie said...

Back in the day I danced to "monster mash" playing on the record player. I danced to "purple people eater" on the atrac (sp?) player. I was thrilled when my mom's new car had a cassette player. Even more thrilled when my grandma brought us back something called a vcr all the way from California because Utah wasn't up to speed on the new technology.
This post made me laugh. Hard. I do use the term back in the day for recent memories, perhaps I'll stop now...
I'm sp glad you're my new fb buddy!

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

You guys are so good at supporting my little essay!
Oh, and I think that was an eight track you are talking about. That was before my time, so I could be wrong.

natalie said...

Ha. It's so in an 8 track! I couldn't remember what the name was and it drove me crazy ALL DAY LONG! :)

Sally said...

Love this - back in the day I remember getting our first color t.v. and heaven forbid - we had to dial the telephone! Although I'm attached to my computer, my iPod and my cell phone - I kinda liked it back in the day!

Brittany said...

I was in the gas station with your parents today, and I noticed how much candy bars are now. In my head I thought, "Back in the day ... I could get 3 for $1. Now you only get 1 for $1." Now everytime I hear that phrase or say it myself I'll think of you:)

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

To Brittany: Awwww...That's so sweet!

To All: I've never had so many comments before. I should get mad at my classmates more often!

Oh yeah, Chad said he would of told that guy that he WAS in his "back in the day."

Grandma Gerri said...

Well back in MY day when I was little there were no TV's, a lot of people had party lines on their phones so if they wanted to use the phone and another family somewhere was using it they had to wait until they got off. Computers were unheard of if they were around I never heard of them.

@Nat I talked to you at least a couple of times today you could have asked about the 8 tracks which were also part of MY back in the day as were vinyl records LPs and 45s singles.

Buffy said...

OH MY GOSH!!! You totally crack me up!!!! Loved the post!

Karen said...

Gee, all of you guys sound so old!!! I don't remember all those things you're talking about!!!

Melissa said...

um, I'm with Karen. Totally.

Paranoid glances.

I was thinking just the other day about payphones. Do they even have them anymore? What do you do if you need one?