Sunday, August 2, 2009

Lorelei, the Book Critic

If you have ever wanted to know what happens after the ending of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen then this is your book. I couldn't put it down! It captures the first five months of marriage, and what a marriage Darcy and Lizzy have! If you like romance, you will love reading this book. However, as much as I enjoyed reading it, and as your personal book critic (don't laugh, I know my books) I feel I need to reveal these two points of thought:
1. Okay, this book is a teeny bit sappy. By the end of the book, you will have read William (aka Mr. Darcy) calling Lizzy "Beautiful love" 553 times. Okay, kidding. But it was a lot. Very sweet at the beginning, but a little "Oh, for real" towards the end. I had to keep telling myself that they were still in the first HALF of their first year. This went both ways. Lizzy called Darcy "My dearest beloved" 485 times. (No, I didn't really count!)
2. The subtitle "Two Shall Become One" is not simply a quote from the scriptures. For those of you who enjoy reading about "romantic encounters in the bedroom," you will be sufficiently pleased. Really. For those of you who have teenage daughters asking to read it after you, I suggest you have them wait until right before their wedding night! For those of you who do not read anything your daughter should not read, then I would say this book is not for you! If you didn't think "Breaking Dawn" (Twilight #4) was appropriate for teens, then you definately won't think this is.
I know, I know. You want more information. You are just going to have to read it for yourself. I don't think you will be disappointed in the least. Enjoy!
For more information, go to darcysaga.net
P.S. Did I mention it's going to be a saga. The next one comes out September 1st!

12 comments:

Karen said...

First time I've heard of the book as I listened to you and your mom talk on the phone today...sounds really like it might be a bit tooooooooooo much for me...can't put up with those characters too much in love!

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

@ Karen: You are too funny! Personally, I think you would love it!

Tice said...

"Romantic encounters in the bedroom", eh? I like how Chad asked me if you were making me read your pornography yet. Ha.

@ Karen - really? People can be too much in love? I wonder what that's like...

The Plaintive's Pleas said...

As you found my last comment sufficiently intolerable to delete, erm, moderate it, I shan't expect this remark to be posted, either.

Regardless, I thought I'd inform you that I had, indeed, finished Pride and Prejudice during the course of the day yesterday. I found it to be fascinating if not a little lacking in brevity.

To my earlier moderated point, then, I must note that the sequence (which I shortly happened upon after your post yesterday) where Lady Catherine De Bourgh comes to berate Elizabeth was completely devoid of suspense as I had formerly learned the inevitable outcome. I wish that hadn't been so.

I believe Ms. Austen did us all a grand favor by showing restraint and ending the story where she did. To that end, I must concur with Karen that this continuance of novel sounds a mite "too much" for one such as I.

As to Tice's question, I've encountered that being too much in love has a painfully interesting (or is it interestingly painful?) affect on those such afflicted.

natalie said...

What a lovely review, Lori. The romantic encounters in the bedroom sure sold me!! I'll have to send you P&P& zombies when I'm done reading it.

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

To The Plaintive's Pleas: I have very much enjoyed both of your comments, but due to the fact that I do not know your person, I hesitated to publish your original response. However, due to your predominate interest in my book critique I find it imperative that I respond.

Concerning your comment regarding my thoughtless act of revealing the end of Pride & Prejudice I have one thought I must reveal.

Unfortunately, I do not know your person, or your age, for that matter, however according to the manner in which you have written your reply and because of the fact that you understand that being too much in love is painfully interesting (or interestingly painful)I find it intolerable that you have not read this extraordidnary novel before the date of yesterday. If you are older than the young and naive age of 18, I find it rather concerting that you did not previously know the ending whether you had read the novel or beheld in in the latest movie version.

Nevertheless, if you are fond of Jane Austen and her other famous and well known works, you would come to realize that all of her novels end in an agreeable fashion between the heroine and her true love.

I, too, find that Jane Austen respectfully and tastefully ended the novel in the manner in which her society would have deemed appropriate. However, I do believe that Elizabeth Bennet is of a passionate nature and would have, indeed, treated her beloved husband with all the love in which was described in the above book mentioned. I apploud Mrs. Lathan for her courage to embark on such matters that some might find distasteful.

Respectfully, I welcome your rebutal.

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

Post Script: Upon the publishing of my last response, it I has come to my attention that I have spelled the word "applause" incorrectly. Please excuse my imperfection, of which, I find, are many.

Anonymous said...

May I interject an opinion in this debate between Lorelei and The Plaintive's Pleas? Good.

I have indeed begun to read this pornographic version of the continuation of the classic novel that Mrs. Latham set out to tell. I daresay it's quite scandalous in parts. And, yet, I can't seem to put it down.

I, like Lorelei, believe Ms. Bennett was of a very passionate nature and, therefore, this is an adequate representation of how the marriage between Mr. Darcy and Lizzy would've played out. Of course, a hundred some years ago, we wouldn't have been discussing such things much less writing it in graphic detail for the world to read on a whim. In fact, I personally would never write such things if they were happening in my own life. But I digress.

As for being too much in love. Well, I hear it has it's downfalls but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it must have it's perks as well.

I'm glad to hear Pride and Prejudice can bring about such discussions even though it's nearing two hundred years old. To the one Ms. Jane Austen I say, kudos for making a book so applicable to us in this day and time.

The Plaintive's Pleas said...

I apologize that you find my previous ignorance of things you deem so essential to be intolerable. I must admit, though, that I find your treatment of one such as I lacking. Presumably, and based on your stated distain for my former situation of enlightenment, you would also rebuke a recovering alcoholic for attending an AA meeting, or revile against a reformed prostitute for working towards domestic bliss.

As such, I shan't employ this new-found insight to make the obvious comparison of yourself to a most Christian-like Mr. Collins, or force the parallel to Elizabeth's own misguided prejudice — for what would be the point when one such as myself occupies such a low ground as this?

No no — I, being of such a dispassionate nature unequaled to Elizabeth's in every way (and by all evidence unequalled to the high intellectual standard that you yourself hold), see the folly in this and instead opt to bid you adieu without the needless rebuttal you seek.

Lori, Lorelei, Lore said...

To TPP:
It disheartens me that you should feel that I have committed a prejudice towards you in any way. I certainly did not mean to offend. I simply found it rather upsetting (and difficult to fatham)that one of your intelligence and high written expression had not previously read such a novel as Pride and Prejudice.

I apologize for so selfishly disclosing the ending of the above mentioned novel. In the future, I will be sure to hesitate before revealing such matters.

I do not believe that you are any more dispassionate than Mr. Darcy himself. My point is proven in the words of your correspondence. I bid you adieu with much appreciation for helping me see yet another imperfection I must address.

The Plaintive's Pleas said...

With the utmost humility, I accept your apology and appreciate your pledge towards future discretion. I shall consider the matter closed and look forward with glee to discussing like matters and interests someday in the undetermined future as we sup on your delectable (I'm certain it to be so!) vittles.

Melissa said...

Why did this all make me chuckle?

Don't think I'll read the books, but more because I love Jane Austen's ending well enough. :) I love jane austin too. ;)